Friday, January 6

Been some time...

Its been quite some time since I lasted posted something (DUH!).....

But between those posts contaning nice forwards and this prolonged silence, I have been experiencing something (still am) which I have NEVEr felt in my life.

That of being left in a lurch...

As in, there are so many things that any student goes through (multiply it by a 100 if tht person is in a hostel) in his/her student life. I did... I am sure that you also must've... To be unchanged and untouched by the happenings around you in college would mean you are either:

(a) Demented
(b) Dumb
(c) God

I am sure I can discount the last possibilty. And I am always stand by the notion that nobody's actually dumb... they just lack perspective (yaya... I am a humanist). And if your demented, then please don't visit this site again. Ever.

So, as I was saying... I went through a lot. Mostly on the professional sides. Very few readers of this post would not know what I am talking about. But for their benefit (but primarily my own), let me put it down. You see, I had a job offer from ITC ltd. It had a fat pay package. An excellent mentor (my summer training supervisor) was waiting for me to join his division. I would've been placed quite close to home. And also, I would be using some of the 'technical expertise' and 'analytical skills' that I had gained in the past 4-4.5 years. It was good. In fact, in hindsight it was TOO good for the professional qualifications that I could proclaim to possess. Forget Soft-skills... they go for a six when a company is hedging Lakhs over you.

So I went to Calcutta on the 13th (Damn! :) ) for my final interview (mainly HR). 5 minutes into the interview, I knew they weren't interested. They had seen my grades and had decided. But still they HAD to go over the charade of an interview. Unfortunately for me (... or for the company?) they didn't think that they had ' a suitable profile' and thought they wouldn't be 'able to keep me energised' through their work that they can provide. It took me exactly 30 minutes to recover overall (in the meantime I was chatting up with other ppl)... I was relieved only after calling my Parents and my ITC project supervisor. Their shock was good enough for me.

I spent an amazing evening with the other successful candidates... Sandy, Varun and Aashwit (glad to get to knw u then buddy)... We did the perfect thing possible... Have an amazing dinner at an amazing place (Peter Cat at Park st.) and watched a jhelao bollywood movie (Ek Ajnabee) ..... And I had an epiphany somewhere on the way... I decided that I will NOT willingly step into something that I don't like (unless the pay is fat... but chances of tht happening.. hehe).

All my life, I have been shielded and protected. Both by family... and myself (:D)... But it sucks to have your security blanket snatched away from you. Its actually scary. Also, how does one talk to others with your earlier infectious(?) self-assurance. You grew to become a senior over 5 years. And suddenly you have to be ready to be a junior again. You have to try not to make the same mistakes. Because from now on there will be no hug saying "Peace hai be"... no support system (remember Sandy?)... No reassuring smiles... No juniors timid enough to be afraid of talking about your failed attempt...

There will just be a slap on the back ... "Tough luck man! See ya tommorow morning."

So here I am. In a lurch. I have proudly declared that I shall not be a part of the great Indian IT story. I am sure I will have to struggle to stick with that decision. I think I am ready to do so.

I hope I am ready to do so.

And for all the support... Thank you.


Sniff Sniff... WAAAIIILL!!!BAAWWWLL!!!... Now that I have it out of my system ...

I am going to put up some mast posts soon...