Saturday, February 19

Of hangovers....

Aaarrrggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!
{Pronunciation key:
A -> as in shouting... AAAAaaaa
a -> the fallout in shouting... AAAAaaaa
r -> the tongue flapping 'r' in Rrrumble
g -> the gagging sound in the neck while chocking... "G-ollum"
h -> more for creating the wind effect after the 'g'
}

That was my first reaction when i woke up today morning(rather as my neighbour just pointed out from behind my back... it was noon). For those who know me, rest assured I haven't given up my life as a teetotaler. This was after a marathon day of an exam, cricket(the gulli waala version), Lord of the rings and computer gaming. Although I have never experienced the excesses caused by alcohol, I have often wondered about why it is such a popular...... timepass/vice/hobby? It often beats me. You pay for it. It makes you act and behave abnormally. And if it is in excess then it simply refuses to stay in your body and makes its presence felt in the outside world once again. But the part which most baffles me is the hangover. I have read many-a joke, limerick and anectodes about hangovers. Also, I have seen people around me wake up to such a world which, in one person's view makes you feel like a " feather just 'hit' by a train.". It hits you, makes you lose your bearing and then even when the event is over, you are barely floating back down with no control over when you will land.

And forget booze, there is a substance of higher level, lower cost and easier access. Marijuana a.k.a Pot a.k.a Gaanja. The people who wake up after a night session with it seem to hate themselves for ever having stopped the session. There is this particular friend of mine whose way of celebrating the post exam period (Post exam, not Post exams.... During exams but after a paper) is a round of pot. He is often very irritable(Called Chid-chida in colloquial tongue) the next day. He has shown me some research papers on the net which state tht pot is not harmful hallucinogenic drug and all such crap.... apparently that is why they are legalising it in many places....

So, I initially I was just wondering what exactly is a hangover??? Is it just the toll any intoxicating substance takes on the body? As in : "You were not supposed to feed me stuff like this now look how i screw your morning!" sort of a reaction or just a psychological thing of being dragged back into the real world after a roller-coaster ride the previous night.....

Readers, Please do enlighten me...

So much for my hangover though. :)

No comments: