Sunday, February 5

Yearnings...

A friend of mine forwarded (cough cough .. ahem ahem) this poem to me... It struck me quite hard. More because I haven't come across many Tagore poems before. And certainly didn't expect something as lucid as this...


I LONG to speak the deepest words I have to say to you;
but I dare not, for fear you should laugh.
That is why I laugh at myself and shatter my secret in jest.
I make light of my pain,afraid that you should do so.

I long to tell you the truest words I have to say to you;
but I dare not,being afraid that you would not believe them.
That is why i disguise them in untruth,saying the contrary of what I mean.
I make my pain appear absurd,afraid that you should do so.

I long to use the most precious words I have for you;
but I dare not,fearing I should not be paid with like value.
That is why I give you hard names and boast of my callous strength.
I hurt you,for fear you should never know any pain.

I long to sit silent by you;
but I dare not lest my heart come out at my lips.
That is why I prattle and chatter lightly and hide my heart behind words.
I rudely handle my pain,for fear you should do so.

I long to go away from your side;
but I dare not,for fear my cowardice should become known to you.
That is why i hold my head high and carelessly come into your presence.

Constant thrusts from your eyes keep my pain fresh forever......


- Rabindranath Tagore


The full poem is called 'The Gardner'. Get full text here.

4 comments:

Babska said...

lovely poem...
but i got lost in it somewhere...
i like being on your blog...
some things you put up here, strike you in some way or the other...
we need that sometimes...
cheers!

Aditi said...

heavy stuff, maan! but nice:)

btw, you got the spelling of my last name wrong!:)

Sudarshan. A. G. said...

@ babushka: Thank u. Very much. :)

@aditi: really?? please enlighten me witht he correct one then :).

Anonymous said...

wow..really ur blog is ..uhh ..can i say 'intellectual'?heheh..but heavy duty stuff really..really nice..i didnt kno Tagore writes such stuff too:P!