Wednesday, March 1

Intruder!

BBbbRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......

I hate snakes... I loathe them... and I love the geezer who gave them the worst role in the bible.

This outpouring has been caused by the experiences of the past week...

Sometime last week:

My room neighbour (C-125), walks down our dear wing corridor (ground floor). He has just woken up and is breathing in dollops of fresh morning (read 11 am) air. He walks past C-122 and notices a 3 foot long greenish-silverish thing just below the cement corridor. He pauses, realises its a snake. Not just A snake, but a snake with its fangs deep into a fat frog. As neither are moving, he assumes both are dead. To share this viewing pleasure with other wingies, he calls out to a couple of people. As he does so, he notices that he can see the pulse on the frog's upturned body. Slowly realising that this means the snake just bit the frog meaning the slithery bastard is still alive, he takes a step back. At this juncture, our slimy friend decides to open its mouth out wide baring its fangs et al. Poor C-125 just froze. And before a voice (let alone a scream) could come out from his sunken gut, the biblical scourge slithers right off into the ground in front of our wing. At this point C-123 finally comes out to avail of the viewing pleasure mentioned above and finds that it has slithered away leaving behind a dumbstruck C-125.

At this very point I enter the scene (I had gone to class... i think :D). And I am narrated the entire happenings of the past 5-10 minutes. After looking at the upturned frog (still beating its vein), a chill last seen or heard of in the Ice age runs right down my spine "BBbbRRrrrrr". C-123 bravely goes out into the ground with his matchsticks and sets the dry leaves aflame. For the next hour we breath in smoke as the dry leaves on the ground in front of our rooms burns away to glory. The hostel sweeper is instructed to throw away the frog (preferably into the flames).

As the flames died out leaving behind the blackened ground, All of decide that we should be more careful as this very same snake was spotted the previous day by another junior. There are discussions as to whether this is a poisonous variety (a minor detail which simply spikes my already risen hair). There are arguments as to if it has enough goodies only to make a meal or for a human too. Slowly as we all melt away into our rooms, we try to forget the happenings. But later in the night, as C-127 wakes up to breath in his fresh dollops of air, he knocks on my door lightly and asks me to come out... I first open the door a little... peek out to see if he is ready to run or anything which would imply only one thing. As he was not, I step out and follow his pointed hand. Our dear scourge of eve was right where he was hoping his lunch would be... sprawled out 3 feet. Glistening brownish in the flickering tubelight of the corridor. Gulp No.1 ... Gulp No.2.... The bloody reptile started slithering out into the ground again... Gulp No.3... And it was gone... Gulp No.4... and no traces seen... Gulp Gulp Gulp...

Till now I was only scared. Now I was petrified. Every night (even day) whenever I leave the room, I peak out with ears perked up for any sounds. I have reduced water consumption evening onwards as our bathrooms have been the best place to find frogs. Why the hell are there are so many frogs? If only we were a medical school...

Bottomline: I Hate snakes. I Loather snakes. I am SHIT SCARED of snakes.


21 comments:

Sunny said...

whoa!

All the best dude...

Calvin said...

good luck with the snake, find a few sacrificial frogs to appease it..hehe! ;-)

M (tread softly upon) said...

I'm just as terrified of frogs. I would hate to encounter either. I would always get someone in college to fix my toad for me before I attempted to cut it up for practicals.
But take care...
BTW cool new template although it's harder to read the posts through all those images.

Sudarshan. A. G. said...

@sunny :D Thanku!

@s! Yes... that's exactly more frog scent all over the wing? :)) ... good to see u!

@m If only frogs were the only problem! As for the template, I am planning to extend the reading area...

sandeep said...

hmm....frogs, snakes...somethings never change...aaahhh!

pardon, but every topic makes me nostalgic nowadays :D

Psycho McCrazy said...

:D
you shoulda seen the look on your face when u were looking outta the window to see wether the snake was in lethal proximity.

Mugger Much said...

Sudu background change kar yaar... it's an eyesore :(

Blog said...

this backround no good

Anonymous said...

Dude, it is just a snake.....if too scared you are, carry a stick of sorts and hope to see it again, and when you do,deliver a few swift ones with said stick. with enough conditioning of this sort, all snakes within/near llr will keep away. It also strikes me that you can deliver the same treatment to the frogs and thereby keep away the snakes too.....but this shows a desperate lack of patience, which as we all know is a virtue and should be cultivated.

ny $.02

Sudarshan. A. G. said...

@sandeep: tarr tarr...

@psycho: I'd rather not see myself in tht state! :D

@mugger: Hey!... hmmm will edit it soon let' see..

@apurva: wht do u want me to do? deconstructivism? :)

@shank: welcome dude! My fear lies in the fact that... wht if that stick itself (being picked in a moment of rage) not a stick? :D Thanks for ur two cents anyway :P.

Anonymous said...

i said carry a stick, not pick up the nearest stick.....

Dipanjan Das said...

haan i dot bola snake ke bare mein. kitne din baad tera wing ko dekha.

Souvik said...

qasm-e-ma!! heard abt the snake from idot but the full version seems so much more interesting (n petrifying)!!

Anonymous said...

by my calculations, your kundli says
"..thou shalt be bitten by snake to thy death,
but since that snake would be a garden snake,
thine death would attract 29 herpetologists from across the world,
thou shalt then be famous..."
your kundli luckily adds a postscript
"...if thy hates fame and abhors death,
stay away from sunken tractors..."
now you can interpret it as you want, but i guess you should stay away from serpents.

Sudarshan. A. G. said...

@ dd: Wing mein bagru camera le aaya... hopefully good no. of photos coming up...

@souvik: That was the intention

@ramesh: Long story short... yes, no serpents for me!

Babska said...

hahahaha...
(sorry, was i supposed to carry on with this tense feeling lying heavy all around?)
but same hatred and shit scared'ness' happens with lizards!!! bloody pail and creepy crap! shit...
atleast snakes are more colourful :p
should touch them... quite an experience... :)
or not. (if i were u.)
cheers :)

Sudarshan. A. G. said...

@babushka: for ur sake, I could write a d-e-t-a-i-l-e-d incidents about lizards too... interested? :D ;-)

Alwaysvetti said...

Enjoy Suddu...will slowly become some Chinese chap..have a great time with the reptiles..:P

Anonymous said...

this is way toooo..uh well id rather not comment!

sonik said...

Wow! Beautiful narration of the incident. I love frogs more than I hate snakes. in fact I like 'em. And I'd definitely not hate or loathe one dat ate up those horrible frogs. The fatter his lunch (the frog), the lovlier he (the snake) seems to me.

Amusing post and you write so well.

a said...

dun worry abt all this !
we'll get the tamed snakes to creep on you